Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Where Words Fail

"The only thing better than singing is more singing." - Ella Fitzgerald.


Ever wanted to sing so loud you felt like your head would explode if you didn’t? Ever sang so loud you thought your head would explode if you got any louder? Welcome to the club. I’ve read a lot of articles and blogs on underrated pleasures, but all of them failed to mentioned one of the best (if not THE best) pleasures in life: singing.



One does not need to be an expert at anything to sing. All one needs is a voice. It doesn’t matter if they sound good or bad, sweet or gruff. A tune inside the head is all it takes. I personally feel that singing gives unrivaled pleasure, especially when you’re feeling down or lonely.

I love music. I love singing. I suck at it though. But that doesn’t stop me from singing at the top of my lungs in a not-so-busy road at 7 PM. I receive death stares from men and dogs alike but hey, it’s going to take a lot more than that to stop me. I sound so good in my head that I never want to stop. Then I recorded myself and listened. Well, let’s just say I stopped singing in public… just kidding, to hell with the public!

The world when I sing.


As a 90’s Madras kid, I grew up to AR Rahman. Pampered. I grew into Yuvan Shankar Raja and Santhosh Narayanan. Pampered again. English songs, so-so. It was much later that I decided to go old school. Enter Illayaraja. Oh. My. God. So many songs to sing! I almost felt guilty for ruining those songs with my singing. Just listening to them took me to paradise and back. The energy in Madai Thiranthu, the happiness in Sorgame Endraalum, the anger in Thakita Thadhimi, the love in Sundari… stuff we live for. Singing along brings a smile to my face.

Thank God for this man _/\_


Some songs are easy to sing. Some are hard. And then there are some which are almost impossible. Be it the pace or the incomprehensible lyrics, singing them is not for the weak. However, nailing those lines gives a feeling that cannot be explained in words.

More recently, I was introduced to singing inebriated (that was when I was introduced to inebriated too but that’s a story for another time). Singing no holds barred, all guns blazing was a different level of excitement. I should do it more often.
 
Singing is intoxicating. Singing makes you feel good. It doesn’t matter if you’re bad, this is not a competition. This is life. What is life without music? Sing and let the world know you’re happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment